Unique sourcing position from the world’s largest independent technical nitrates producer
Technical nitrates which include technical ammonium nitrates (TAN) and calcium nitrates (CN) are essential raw materials in the production of civil explosives used by the mining and construction industries around the world.
With its production plants dedicated to technical nitrates, both TAN and CN, and its unique global supply system, Yara has the ability to supply you globally
- Our distribution network includes more than 200 terminals and warehouses around the world, which will be close to your operations.
- Our experts have mining and civil explosives industry knowledge and experience.
- Our team is dedicated to technical nitrates so they fully understand your needs.
The different steps in technical nitrates production
- Combine oxygen (from air) and ammonia to form nitric acid. This is done through a number of reactions. (Brown boxes in diagram below)
- Combine the nitric acid and ammonia to form the ammonium nitrate solution. (Green and yellow boxes in diagram below)
- Concentrate the ammonium nitrate solution, and further process to form droplets of crystallized ammonium nitrate. These solidified droplets, referred to as prills are then dried and cooled to form the end product of TAN. (Blue boxes in diagram below)
TAN leadership: Expert supply chain and quality products
Yara's global reach as the world’s largest ammonia trader is combined with an expertise in the safe supply of technical nitrates. Every year, Yara ships around the world over 20 million tons of nitrogen chemicals and nitrates.
We possess deep competence in the shipping and handling of Technical Nitrates - Ammonium or Calcium Nitrates, backed by over a century of experience in nitrogen logistics. Our local presence with our 200 terminals and warehouses mean that we are are there at every step of the supply chain to bring tailored solutions to your site to support you in your daily management of explosives.
In order to run a high performance explosives production site, mine, quarry or large scale project civil engineering project, you need to rely on an expert partner. We are open to any kind of requests and bring a solution-finding mindset to help you advance your projects.
Choosing the right products makes a difference to your mine, quarry or civil works site performance!
Yara's ISO certificated plants supply the civil explosive, mining and construction industries with top quality high performance technical nitrates. Our comprehensive range of TAN and Calcium Nitrates products bring you optimal rock fragmentation performances.
The technical nitrates are developed with characteristics that bring you the blasting properties you need to work effectively in different climate conditions and types of operations. Tests prove that the use of quality of Technical Nitrates makes a difference.
By choosing the right TAN or CN product for your blasting, you significantly improve the performance of your mine, quarry or civil engineering project. Our dedicated Research and Development Center in Porsgrunn, Norway, is committed to developing the best products and applications for your industry.